The intro: some of you know I have migraines. I have them often, very often and I am always on the search for preventive measures which do not involve medication with side-effects even more gruesome than the migraine. One helpful action is action (sorry, for the only mildly funny pun). Precisely endurance training like jogging, swimming or biking. As I do not like the latter very much I have chosen the jogging routine. Therefore I have two running tights which are in heavy rotation and heavy duty, as my thighs love to cuddle with themselves (meaning: I have no thigh gap) 😂
My dark red trousers is now hurt from the constant cuddling. The fabric is thin, starts to peel and already has one bigger and a smaller hole. As the rest of the trousers is ok and I so love its dark red colour I want to repair the tights.
With the help and support of @kimmac and @cryptocariad and two very nice shop assistants I tackled the endeavour of repairing my activewear.
I bought a small stripe of blue swimsuit fabric, as they did not have something more similar to my legging ‘s fabric. I was advised to use microtex needles which I, being well-behaved, also bought. The rest of the week was sadly filled with headache and sorrow, as my father suddenly had to go back into hospital. Only today I found the time and concentration to start the sewing.
First step: pinning the slippery fabric with an excess of needles to the inside of my leggings. Then I removed the base of my sewing machine to expose the free arm (a first for me 😱), change the needle and inserted the thinnest microtex needle (a mistake, I know now).
Second step: Sew the
beast patch with a zig-zag stitch on.
This second step escalated a tad…. First the advised thinnest needle broke. Ok, no problem I changed it and used a bigger one, as I found the two layers of fabric not so delicate. But then the f********* (Germans curse very hard, you must know, I guess it’s genetic… hmmm maybe it’s only me 😅) thread constantly ripped. I changed the tension, the needle, but nothing helped. Only at the very end I had the brilliant idea to change the thread which was the real culprit.
Back to my sewing technique. I firstly sewed the edges of the patch and then to firmly fasten the patch on the inside of the pants, I sewed several times length- and crosswise. After this I pulled the pants on their right side and darned the little hole by sewing, still with the zig-zag stitch, several times over it. I hope this will not be too rough on my delicate (😂😂) thigh skin.
I wanted to directly run into the sun and test this mending, so you must wait roughly half an hour.
Tick – tock – tick – tock – tick – tock – tick – tock – tick – ——
I am back, and the patch was wonderful, not scratchy at all. The only minus is, the tiny hole I didn’t mended with the zig-zag stitch has grown bigger, so that the patch is showing. I will wash the trousers and darn it afterwards. I am not sure how durable my mending is… time will show 😊
And by the way, don’t be fooled by my step amount, this was mostly me walking in the sun…
Thank you @crosheille for iniciating and @muscara, @shanibeer, @marblely for hosting the #needleworkmonday. If you want to see more beautiful projects with yarn, fabric and most of all needles, follow @needleworkmonday on steemit. Or even better grab your needles and keyboard and join the #needleworkmonday community. You can read more comments on this post on my steemit blog.